How to get rid of birds in your backyard
Problems caused by birds
Birds end up inside homes by flying, or walking, in through windows or doors, or more commonly through attics, rooftop eves, a crack in your siding, ceiling, or roof. Ending up in a home is as terrifying for the bird as it may be for you. It can be even more chaotic if you have a cat in the house as they will chase the bird around and most likely cause some property damage, or at the minimum leave you with a mess to clean up. Bird removal needs to be done quickly and humanely for your property and for your safety. Birds in or around your home can cause damages that may not be as superficial as well:
- Droppings can clog stain, corrode and damage building materials
- Droppings can become a safety hazard as well, as they could cause slip and falls.
- A bird’s nest can become a fire hazard if it’s close to any lighting or any electrical equipment.
- Birds nested in or around food production or warehouse infrastructure may contaminate equipment or even worse, the products going to customers.
- Large bird population, birds roosted in trees and birds inside chimney’s, drop ceilings, vents, or flues can become a nuisance because of all the noise they make
Birds especially become a problem if they start to build nests (which they can do very quickly), because they will return frequently and the noise created by the offspring will become a nuisance. We at SOS Wildlife Control bird removal services make sure to take great care to ensure that birds and their offspring are relocated somewhere where they have the best odds of survival and can adjust quickly.
Easy ways to get rid of birds
Bird removal can be done with various do it yourself techniques. If you feel the bird is small enough and is fairly calm, there are some techniques to get birds out of your home. Remember that killing the bird or birds is never the right answer. In most cases the bird(s) are just looking for shelter for themselves or their offspring or are lost and confused because they were recently taken out of their normal territory. Having said that here are some steps you can take to remove the bird or birds yourself:
Identify the type of bird
- Some birds are easy to identify because they may be common in your area, or you really know your birds. It’s important to identify the bird first because some species are protected by law and have special regulations as to how they can be treated
- To find out the species take note of its color, shape, and behaviors.
Determine if you can remove the bird
- Check your local laws and regulations if you can legally remove the bird or birds
- If it is legal to remove the bird or birds check if there are any laws around the limits on how far out you can release the bird
- If you see a nest, don’t do anything until 2 weeks after the eggs have hatched.
Remove any nests
- If legally allowed ,you can remove the nest signalling that the habitat is hostile to the bird.
- Clean the area with disinfectant after removing the nest
- If you catch the bird trying to rebuild the nest, knock it off as soon as possible
If the bird is violent, large or returns frequently, you’ll want to call a technician. Birds can do serious damage if provoked and especially when protecting its eggs.
What is Bird Control and why is important
Our bird removal service is done by the best technicians with humane, ethical techniques. As mentioned above certain birds are protected by law and have regulations around them. You don’t want to deal with a city fine on top of the cost of removing your bird problem.
Effective bird removal by a professional
We provide fast, effective and, most importantly, humane animal control services with your needs and concerns at the forefront of all our decisions. We first to a thorough inspection and based off our situation analysis we explain where that main entry points are, as well as other vulnerable spots and potential future entry points. Based off this information we lay out the nest options to tackle the issue head on with you and your property and the structure of your property as our first priority as well as the safety of animals.
There are four different methods we use to get birds off and away from your property
The most common method of removal is called the “one way door method” in which a one way door is installed and when the bird or birds leave as part of their regular routine, the door becomes sealed and they will not be able to re-enter.
Bird spikes are installed upon flat services where the birds nest, for example ledges and signs. Spikes are the most common tactic used for bird removal as they are durable and effective. The spikes don’t hurt the bird but make it impossible for them to land. They may be an eye sore, but they are better than unsightly and unsanitary bird feces. Bird spikes are attached using a very strong adhesive so they are durable. Each spike strip can range from 3 inches to 7 inches depending on the area to be covered.
Bird netting is used to block birds from much larger areas such as balconies or parking garages. Bird netting is extremely durable and can be expected to last many years. A stainless steel cable is attached around the perimeter of the area to be excluded and the net is attached using small steel rings. It is a permanent solution providing excellent bird control.
Shock track is a discreet bird control deterrent system that has the advantage of deterring all species of birds. It employees an intermittent electric pulse which while unpleasant, does not injure birds in any way. The track is less than an inch in height so it is excellent in areas where aesthetics are important.
In the event where the birds had babies in the house the one way door method is not used, rather our technician will physically remove the babies from the house and place them into an insulated box where they will stay until the mother comes and picks them up. The mother then relocates each baby one by one.
Call today toll-free 1-866-526-6329 to schedule humane bird removal