Last Updated: May 2016
Skunks are extremely well known for their horrible smelling, predator deterrent sprays. For that, residents of the City of Toronto and the GTA have been struggling skunk problems.
One of the main problem skunks cause is their ability to spray a disastrous mist that can travel as far as ten feet. The scent from a skunk’s spray can linger for hours, days, sometimes months. The smell is one of the main indicators you have skunk problem. Skunks usually use their sprays to deter their predators or when they feel threatened from noise, weather conditions etc.
Aside from their presence being a nuisance in or around one’s neighborhood, skunks’ adaptability to different habitats can make them satisfied guests. Skunk under porches, skunk under decking, skunk inside sheds and skunk between structures/walls are all common skunk problem ‘s. Skunk control is hard work as getting rid of skunks would definitely require professional services. In the interim, these stripy animals can dig holes in your lawn, damage and contaminate crop in agricultural settings, and general skunk odor which could seep into fabrics and surfaces. While the odorous surfaces may need as much as complete replacement, the actual skunk removal or skunk family removal is only a job for the professionals. As we do with all other wildlife removal needs, we take a humane approach with skunks. Our professionally trained technicians can inspect and understand the behavior of a skunk, detect their entry and exit points, close their entry points using mesh and traps. Our technicians take the skunks to a safe, natural environment, a reasonable distance from your property to avoid re-denning and a return of your skunk problem.
Controlling a Skunk Problem
As with most other wildlife, there are certain things you can do to avoid skunk infestation. Keeping inside and outside of your residential or commercial property clean, tidy, and organized is key. Because of their superior digging skills, and long, strong nails, skunks can cause damage and cut through garbage and compost bins without hassle and get to food remnants. Preventative measures can be key in skunk control. Feed all domestic pets indoors, keep pet food contained. It is a dangerous and uncomfortable experience for pets to get sprayed by skunks. The odor and the chemicals from the spray that the skunk generates can burn pets’ eyes, and the odor stays on their fur and skin for long periods of time. There are home remedies to provide instant relief to pets in case of a skunk confrontation. Be wary of structural issues like holes, cracks, which could provide easy entrance and exit points for skunks. Sealing any structural entry points is the number one preventative measure to a skunk problem. Other spray information and preventative points on skunks can be found on the City of Toronto’s website.
When it comes to a skunk problem, we don’t recommend any DIY options. Although there are ways one could prevent a skunk problem becoming an infestation, it’s very difficult to actually remove them from one’s property. Ministry of Natural Resources protect wildlife and if body gripping traps or poison are used during the capture of skunks, one can be charged up to $5000 and face criminal charges for animal cruelty. Diseases like rabies, leptospirosis, and distemper can be a few of the diseases that could easily be transmitted to humans and pets during the removal process, not to mention the everlasting odor of the skunk spray. Humans who have been sprayed by skunks have been noted to be discomforted by the smell for up to 4 months.
Aside from being known for their smelly sprays and unique stripy appearances, there are actually so much more to know about these problematic members of the wildlife.
- They are predominantly inhabitants of North America
- They are extremely adaptable and can survive in different habitats given there is food and shelter
- They are omnivores, consuming a diet of both plant and insects/grubs. They are opportunistic eaters so they are flexible with their diets as seasons change
- They can survive throughout the year, from the most extreme weather conditions to the least. Although not extremely active, they seek shelter under porches
- Much like raccoons, skunks are nocturnal, conducting most of their activities at nighttime
- They have extremely strong forefeet and long nails, making them great diggers. They are known to dig holes in lawns, gardens, parks, golf courses etc.
- Although the most powerful, spraying is not the first method of defense for skunks. They tend to growl, spit, fluff its fur, and stomp the ground
- Compared to their friends in the wild, skunks are shy and they don’t like to fight other animals
- Skunks live between 2-3 years
- Skunks are very smart, they will roll a furry caterpillar on the ground to get rid of its hair before eating it
- Skunks’ stripes point to the anal gland where they spray from
- Before spraying their predators, skunks do a warning dance which include stomping on the ground and hissing
- Skunk spray is highly flammable
- Skunks don’t like altercation, if proper measures are followed, skunk control can easily be maintained
- Many wildlife control companies in Ontario prefer not to provide skunk removal services
At SOS Wildlife Control Incorporated, we provide superior skunk removal services for residential, commercial, and industrial clients. Let us help you solve your skunk problem ‘s. We can easily be reached at 1-800-981-0330. Don’t wait and call us to schedule an appointment for a thorough inspection to help evacuate all your unwanted wildlife problems.